A recent study on Hungarian fire bugs provides evidence towards this concept as the insects underwent a variety of experiments that tested behavior patterns. Information that was analyzed included individual fire bugs’ exploration habits, how fast each bug reached certain points in the testing area, and the time that it took for a bug to venture out of its container. The results revealed that each bug possessed distinctive mannerisms such as bashfulness, courageousness, and aggressiveness.
Although the fire bug study does not prove that every living creature on Earth contains unique attributes, the findings do corroborate the theory. Scientists around the world are conducting similar experiments on different beings in order to present supportive data as well. If you would like to learn more about the Hungarian fire bug study, go to http://news.discovery.com/animals/bugs-personality-insects.html.
As the aforementioned experiment shows that even insects can have different behaviors, I feel that there is truth to a theory regarding such a phenomenon with all living things. Before hearing about the firebug study, I never pondered the idea that individual organisms may sway from the general characteristics of their species.
For instance, it is widely known that crocodiles are highly aggressive and attack many creatures, but what if certain crocodiles do not share this trait? Some may harm other animals solely based on need instead of an insatiable hunger for violence. This example can possibly apply to other species that bear analogous qualities as well as those with opposite traits.
If more evidence surfaces to authenticate the behavioral uniqueness of all organisms, then it will bring researchers one step closer towards discovering the unanswered questions that lie within every specie’s most complex organ: the brain. Reasons like further understanding of the brain exemplifies why investigations similar to those of the Hungarian fire bugs play key roles in important aspects of society. Though such studies do not solve life’s riddles by themselves, they are undeniably a vital component of the science world.
For instance, it is widely known that crocodiles are highly aggressive and attack many creatures, but what if certain crocodiles do not share this trait? Some may harm other animals solely based on need instead of an insatiable hunger for violence. This example can possibly apply to other species that bear analogous qualities as well as those with opposite traits.
If more evidence surfaces to authenticate the behavioral uniqueness of all organisms, then it will bring researchers one step closer towards discovering the unanswered questions that lie within every specie’s most complex organ: the brain. Reasons like further understanding of the brain exemplifies why investigations similar to those of the Hungarian fire bugs play key roles in important aspects of society. Though such studies do not solve life’s riddles by themselves, they are undeniably a vital component of the science world.
Related video:

Wow, I have never really thought about the personalities of ants being similar to the personality of a human. It almost makes me not want to crush some bugs when while seeing them crawl around the house. However, I probably only see the ones showing “courageousness” like you mentioned. It amazes me that such a small creature has the mental capacity to present these emotional traits. The website was also helpful, too.
ReplyDeleteI would have to agree with Matt on this topic: I do not usually think about what an insect might think or feel. People usually only relate feelings to animals, like dogs. Although, that could be because we like animals more and they can show emotions. I have no problem squashing things like spiders, but I shrink at the thought of hurting dogs. One time I saw a spider whose egg was hatching, so instead of crushing it like I usually would, I left it alive. The sight of the babies made me think of a mother and her babies. In this case, I would have thought of the ant study, but in most cases I never would have thought of how the spider would feel.
ReplyDeleteI have never considered this idea in my life. I think that's mostly because I don't think organisms other than humans have the same cognitive thoughts and feelings as we do. I believe they have a predisposition to do their natural job, but they don't "think" any further beyond that.
ReplyDeleteYour passion for this topic shows. Especially enjoyed the embedded video.
ReplyDeleteWow! Pretty interesting to think the Hungarian fire bugs have distinctive mannerisms such as bashfulness, courageousness, and aggressiveness. Who would of thought?
The parallel to human behavior is fascinating. Great post.
This is very interesting. I find it somewhat comical because looking back on my childhood I used to be the kid that killed all the little creatures. Now reading this article I feel some remorse. This made me think of how insects such as ants think of us. Seeing something that is extremely larger than me and being at its will is a feeling i hope i do not experience any time soon.
ReplyDeleteI never through of the two being any where near similar until you put it into your own words. I guess my though is I am no where near an ant, I am not a shy person and never have been. I tried to figure out what type of animal I would be most like and I just am not sure. It is amazing your thoughts on such a subject. It was great to read.
ReplyDeleteYour blog was very informative. i had not even thought about sharing similar Characteristics as humans.
ReplyDelete