I am going to include the video for Alejandro; however, I warn you that the content is highly sexual and may cause discomfort. If you choose to watch the video, please read the blog before viewing.
When the video begins, we are introduced to half naked soldiers lounging around the outside of a fortress. Other soldiers intricately march into various patterns, creating a precisely choreographed rhythm. Gaga herself appears, wearing an outfit that suits her craziness. The scene shifts to a funeral procession with Gaga in front of the casket, carrying her own heart. We go back to the fortress; it is evident that she is some sort of ruler.Finally, the music starts and Gaga sings while men dance outside. They continue to dance until we see Gaga lying down in a nun outfit with a rosary clutched in her hand (note this). Again the scene changes, this time with Gaga pulling on a man from behind on a bed while other men are dancing on beds in the room. She dances with them. More sexual activities continue.
Now, she is in a “holy” outfit being lifted by the men. The nun version of Gaga swallows the rosary, which symbolizes the ingestion of holiness after the immoral acts that she had just committed. Men continue to pull at her and the scenes bounce back and forth between the immoral and moral sides of Gaga, representing her internal struggles. The video eventually ends with the nun Gaga incinerating, and I have read that this depicts her rebirth into a new, more pure woman.
Because Lady Gaga utilizes certain aspects of Christianity (specifically Catholicism) next to sexual acts, many religious individuals strongly oppose this video. However, they fail to look at the story that Lady Gaga portrays. She is actually trying to send a positive message, perhaps not with the disturbing sexual scenes, but rather with the outcome of the tale.
The director of the video, Steven Klein, discussed this exact theme in his interview with Rolling Stone magazine, so my interpretations were similar to the intended message. However, many people view Alejandro in very contrasting ways as this is not a set-in-stone analysis of the video. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/17386/111856
Regardless of opposing viewpoints, I believe that this is Lady Gaga’s best creation to date. I hope that everyone who views the video can see the artistry that presents itself the same way that I did.
Very interesting blog! I love Lady Gaga's music, but have never seen one of her music videos before. I feel you did an excellent job describing the video. I will have to watch it when I'm not at work! :)
ReplyDeleteI understand theres a lot of controversy over Lady GaGa, but I can't help but love her. I not big into "artsy fartsy things" but I not only find her music but her movies just to be such a symbol of "art". I love her out landish outfits and "just out there" attitude. I believe she brings a breath of fresh but invigrating air to the music world. And personally I see a trend of other artist following her with her out landish outfits and "out there" movies. I tryed to go see her this summer in concert and the lowest ticket price I could find was like $110... I personally can't get enough of her and her music! I see her as a symbol of freedom, creativity, inspiration, power, desire, and passion!
ReplyDeleteThis song used to be one of my favorites when a friend got me hooked on it. You analyzed the song and explained your point very well. Some people just find her very inappropriate but she does try to get a message across. She has some crazy outfits, but it almost seems to draw even more attention because people want to know more about her. A friend of mine told me that I should write my blogs about Lady Gaga. I'm glad I didn't because you did a phenomenal job :)
ReplyDeleteThis was a good topic to discuss. I really like her music. I think her music vidoes are bizzare! She definitely wants to stand out and she is doing a great job doing it!
ReplyDeleteSo the first time that I watched that video I was pretty much scared for life. It was rather disturbing. After being convinced to watch it many more times, however, I've actually grown to enojy it. I dont know what it is about Gaga, but she makes even the most creepy and strange things exciting. =D
ReplyDeleteI LOVE lady gaga! this was very interesting to read and the way you portray her as is just how i feel about her. good job very good piece
ReplyDeleteI was right there next to you watching. I myself didn't know what to think. I couldn't decide whether or not I should like the video, or be offended. I was somewhat uncomfortable about watching it in the library. You did a fine job of explaining the symbolism. It is interesting to see how you can take a video like taht and come up with a informative blog such as you did.
ReplyDeleteI can not stand Lady Gaga and I am not sure on why that is. Maybe its her clothing or her style but I just find it hard to watch her on television. From the amount of bling she wears it may be because of the intense shine she always had. I loved your post however you really portrayed how you felt and why. Your feelings seemed very true and real. I loved reading it!
ReplyDeleteI enjoy your writing style and how thorough you are with detail and format. I also appreciate your warning about the content of the video, which is appropriate to do with academic genres. This warning gives viewers and readers the option of seeing the video or not, while preserving their right to not have to experience content they find inappropriate.
ReplyDelete