Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Post #6 - Hola!

This week’s blog topic was rather difficult to decide. I had barely any ideas, and nothing seemed to inspire me. However, at my high school we have started a new trimester, and this trimester brings back a subject that is very dear to my heart: Spanish. Spanish, Spanish, and more Spanish! Currently I am in Spanish IV as an independent study student, so I have been studying the language for quite some time. I cannot seem to get enough of it. I love Spanish so much that during my break from class, I looked up advanced grammar lessons that a professor provides on YouTube just so that I wouldn’t forget anything. There are several reasons why I love this foreign language so much, and I will discuss them in this post.
My interest in Spanish began when I was very young. My dad, who has a minor in Spanish, would occasionally speak the language in the house when he would talk to himself. We also used to live in a town that had a very large Hispanic community, so he had many friends that came from this community. I would hear my dad have conversations with them in Spanish and admired him for knowing a different, trill-like language. I thought it was the “coolest thing ever” that my dad was bilingual, and I decided that I wanted to be just like him! Now, 10 years later, I am on my way to being considered a fluent Spanish speaker.
Although I am not as fluent in Spanish as I am in English, I am still able to hold conversations decently with others who speak Spanish, and I mostly speak with my friend and her family, who moved to the United States from Mexico when my friend was 8 years old. I immensely enjoy speaking in Spanish with her, and she tells me how much she loves it as well. Anabel often says that “speaking English for too long is like eating the same food for a couple of days.”
Later in life, I plan to utilize my Spanish-speaking abilities in my career as a pharmacist. This would make me highly marketable when I begin to apply for positions. I would love to work in a Hispanic community. Even if I don’t end up being a pharmacist, I still want to speak Spanish for the rest of my life.
Basic Spanish lesson:

6 comments:

  1. I do have to say, you really know how to enter a blog. I enjoy reading your information, and speaking the language of Spanish, well I only know that will get me by with. I worked with a wonderful man, Juan at my job, and I taught him good English and he taught me some Spanish. Always stay with it, and you will always remember. My grandparents were from Syria, and we spoke it as kids. Once they passed, we didn't speak it much and now I don't remember alot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's great that you want to be bilingual. Any more these days, you almost need to be; no matter what you career choice is. My husband's family is hispanic and I wish that I was able to speak spanish with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is fantastic that you like Spanish so much. I have always found the differences between languages rather interesting. Now that I have said that, I must say I am not a fan of Spanish. I have taken two years of Spanish and I had hoped to understand what a person is saying when I hear them speak it. Sadly, I can't understand a peep of the language (as I have only taken two years). Anyway, cool video lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really cool that you enjoy spanish. I took 2 years of it and decided that I was mean't to speack english. Looking back I honestly cannot remember a lot of what i learned. i dont know why... i just fewlt like the teacher was speaking in a different language.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As you know, I took Spanish for three years. I am pretty decent at it, I know more than most, but not all of it. I would've continued, but I got somewhat tired of learning the material. I thought it would be hard, but it was actually pretty easy once you learned it. I think it is a good goal for you to want to be fluent in it, and it will definitely help in the future. I also wanted to learn the language because of somebody else, but it was because my sister talked often and tried to teach me, not my dad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always wanted to take Spanish. In high school I took 6 years of French and walked away not knowing (or remembering) any of what I was taught. Also they way the United States is becoming it was useless to know French unless I was planning on moving to Canada and I hate the cold. I think it's awesome you have a thing for Spanish. Its good for you.

    ReplyDelete