Once again we have been asked to blog about a topic of our choice, and it takes me a half an hour to think about what to write. Again, nothing inspires me. However, today I thought about how people, including myself, mimic others when they are around them often.
For instance, I have discovered that I occasionally talk and laugh like my good friend, Claire Dudley. She moved to Idaho to go to college a couple of months ago, but for some reason I have made it a habit to speak (especially laugh) like she does, and I just can’t seem to get rid of the speech patterns that I have picked up from her. I also sometimes find myself mimicking Matt Burger’s speech patterns while in his presence, and I have no idea why. Everything that comes out of that kid’s mouth sounds important and ingenious, so maybe I subconsciously want to sound that way as well.
Again, I have no idea why this occurs, but it really is fascinating. For those of you that have taken a psychology class or know anything about this phenomenon, I would greatly appreciate an explanation because I and many other people subconsciously mimic things such as speaking and simple movements all the time. I want to know WHY!
Your blog was very interesting! I agree with you about the copying. I have realized that I am mimicking others more lately too! And I definitely agree with you about the Matt comment. Another copying example might be when people yawn. They say it is contagious, but what if it's just a reaction? I'm in a psych class, but I don't remember anything that would relate to this.
ReplyDeleteThat Matt Burger guy seems nothing short of amazing. If only I could mimic the way he talks or even get into his head for a bit. Ah yes, the complements, I thank you for them. Yes I have also noticed myself imitating others uncontrollably and I do not like it.
ReplyDeleteInteresting! I also noticed that after spending so much time at work and listening to the way one of the girls talks, I have picked up her habits. But, if I'm not around, the habit doesn't seem as bad. It's so nice to know that I'm not the only one who notices this!
ReplyDeleteI like this blog because that was totally me when I was a kid. I always used to mimic people. I was...I guess you could say the mimic of all mimic-ers. Clever I know. If I could mimic someone know a days it would probably be.......Chris Farley. Even though he is passed away. His funny-ness lives on forever.
ReplyDeleteRIP Chris