Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Post #4: Effects of Birth Control on Women

Even though I do not have an actual job with pay at the moment, in the future I plan on becoming a pharmacist. As many of you in my English 102 class know, we must write about a topic that deals with our career field or future career. Because a pharmacist’s main task is to handle medicine, I am deciding to write about the physical effects of oral contraceptives on teenagers. This topic is familiar to me because I use oral contraceptives, and I also wish to further investigate some of the effects of “the pill.”
If any men are reading this, I apologize and am truly sorry for causing any discomfort (I seem to be doing a lot of that with my blogs these days). This topic and blog are strongly geared towards women, so any men that don’t wish to read detailed information should stop reading now and perhaps try a different blog.
Although the long term effects of oral contraceptives among women (all ages) have not been determined, a few short term effects include blood clotting, increased risk of stroke, and hormonal withdrawals during the 7 day period that patients receive the placebo pills that replace the hormonal ones. Regimens like these are referred to as “21/7 regimens” because the patient takes 21 days’ worth of estrogen plus progestin pills and then 7 days of inactive pills. The “21/7 regimen” will be utilized throughout my paper as the majority of oral contraceptives use this method.
One major side effect that I plan on investigating is the alleged decrease in menstrual-induced pain, more commonly known as “cramping.” I have been using an oral contraceptive called “Microgestin + Fe” since April of this year, and the cramping that I experience about every other cycle returns to the previous level of torturous pain before I began using the medicine. Other months I experience a dull pain that “feels like Heaven” compared to my previous symptoms; however, I want to know why this occurs because I should experience that dull pain every month instead of alternating months.
Because I am choosing to write about a topic that directly affects me and many other teenage girls, I look forward to researching the effects of oral contraceptives. Even though my focus of the paper will encircle teenagers, many of the effects are similar to those that women experience as well. I hope that the final product is a success!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3149043

5 comments:

  1. I think my sister also considered being a pharmacist but decided not to. I have heard of other girls who take "the pill" to help with monthly cramping. I had considered it because i also experience the "torturous pain" you mentioned, but that is only for 1 or 2 days so I suffer through it and pop Midol. Plus I heard that it can mess with your system...and I don't want to take a pill. I think that should be an interesting career and I hope your paper turns out well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can not say that I read another blog that has affected me more. I just love this one. From everything you have stated it can help a female who is trying to deal with staying on the pill or going on the pill in the first place. I hope you drive through with your career choice. Thank you for writing about this. It could really help a lot of people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Despite your kind disclaimer, I decided to read your blog. Actually, I honestly felt I needed to read it even more after I read your caution. I found it very... educational. Besides that, I think your particular career choice fits you perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicole, like Matt I also cound not stop reading until I reached the end. Birth control in young teens are a must if they are sexualy active. There are to many young kids with kid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved your blog. i thought it was extremely educational.i love that you always give your input by backing it up with facts! good job and i feel as though this would be a perfect career for you to get into! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete