Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Post #5- Avada Kadavra!

Tomorrow (November 18th) millions of people will be lining up at movie theaters around the world for arguably the biggest film event of the year: the midnight showing of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1. I also plan on seeing the movie tomorrow at midnight (thank you Professor Brooks for cancelling class), and I am extremely excited to see it. The other day when I was thinking about WHY I am so obsessed with the books and movies, I also thought about the reasons that millions of other people love J.K. Rowling’s fantastical masterpiece.
The main reason that people could be so fascinated with Harry Potter is that it deals with the concept of magic in a detailed manner. Not only does J.K. Rowling go in depth about how her idea of magic operates and its uses, but she also creates an entire wizarding world that is placed within the mundane world. For thousands of years, mankind has perceived magic and supernatural powers as both dangerous and exciting. The latter is what draws Rowling’s audience in as she created an adventurous, elaborate story about a young wizard who must face a malevolent, adult sorcerer.
Another reason that Harry Potter is the object of admiration of many individuals around the world is J.K. Rowling’s writing style and talent. As stated earlier, Rowling put enormous amounts of effort into creating a universe where not only magic and wizards exist, but a world that actually makes sense if it was not fictitious. She includes the daily lives of wizards, their mannerisms, traditions, education systems, and even their form of government. Furthermore, her writing capabilities are superb. She writes in a simplistic yet mesmerizing way that always causes readers to read until they find themselves unable to stay awake. I myself have stayed awake until 3 or 4 o’clock in the morning at one point or another when I read a Harry Potter novel. I just can’t put those books down once I begin to read, and the same is true for many others as well.
If you have not read any of the Harry Potter books or watched the movies, I highly recommend both. Of course, the books are better than the movies, but I will still be standing in line tomorrow overflowing with anticipation at 6 o’clock waiting to watch the seventh installment of the series.


2 comments:

  1. You and Sabrina have a lot in common!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to commend you for following Harry Potter. I have not watched one movie or read a book even though everyone tells me how wonderful they are. I am glad you posted about this.

    ReplyDelete