As several of you already know, I did my research paper on the effects of oral contraceptives and the importance of pharmacists advising their patients about these negativities. Because these blogs are supposed to be relatively short, I will only briefly discuss the side effects that I researched.
One consequence of taking oral contraceptives is the development of blood clots, strokes, and heart attacks due to women that are smokers taking the kind of pills that are meant for non-smokers. This typically occurs in underage teenage cases because some of these girls will lie about smoking habits if their mothers are present during the appointment to receive birth control.
While doing my research, I also stumbled upon an effect that I was not aware of. Apparently, women who use oral contraceptives may experience continuous sexual, metabolic, and health consequences from low levels of “unbound” testosterone. This can lead to various stages of depression, so women may need to carefully track their behavioral patterns while on birth control.
The rest of the negative aspects of birth control that I discussed were centered around the 7 day period that women take placebo pills, also known as the “hormone free interval” (HFI). Obviously, an effect that occurs during this time is hormonal withdrawals. However, there are serious issues that may occur during this time, including catamenial seizures, endometriosis pain, and pneumothorax development (build-up of air or gas in the pleural cavity of the chest).
Although oral contraceptives pose many dangers to women, it is the best form of preventing pregnancy, so women continue to use them. For all of these potential side effects, pharmacists can help protect women from these problems by communicating with physicians to monitor their health patterns and make necessary adjustments if needed. Physicians help make decisions about patients’ prescriptions, but pharmacists ultimately choose which brand fits each patient best. A pharmacist’s role in medical treatment is crucial because they have extensive knowledge about the medications themselves and are responsible for the safety and health of their patients.
I like your research topic. I never thought about the women that smoke and how that would affect them. I never really thought about all of the consquences either. Your research topic was very unique.
ReplyDeleteI also enjoyed your reseach topic it was pretty interesting. Im glad im not a girl so many things to think about pills, PMS, hair, no thanks.
ReplyDeleteYour research topic was very much so enjoyable and easy to understand and well it helps a lot with what most of us go through all the time.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your blog! It was interesting and, your research paper sounds like it would be interesting to read also. I really hate all the side effects of the drugs, so it's good that pharmasists can tell you before you take them.
ReplyDeleteagreed i really like this topic and it was very interesting. and i also am glad i am a man and don't have to worry about these things, until the time comes then im sure ill be worrying just as much as the wife.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you learned a lot of information about your topic. I knew there were some bad side effects, but I didn't know quite how many or what they were. I know somebody who takes them and they have to take anti-depressants to balance themselves out. I do not look forward to using them in the future, as I'm sure I will experience some of them too.
ReplyDeleteI thought your research topic was also very interesting. And just for all you wonderful males on here I was just reading how Scientists believe they are one step closer to developing an effective male birth control pill after successfully carrying out the largest feasibility study to date. Researchers at the National Research for Family Planning in Beijing injected 1,000 healthy, fertile male patients with a testosterone-based jab over a two-year period and found only 1 per cent went on to father a child. The men were all aged between 20 and 45 and had fathered at least one child in the two years before the testing began.
ReplyDeletehehe : )